TIPS for ONLINE SAFE BEHAVIOR
- Guard your privacy. What people know about you is up to you.
- Protect your reputation. Self-reflect before you self-reveal. What's funny or edgy today could cost you tomorrow.
- Nothing is private online. anything you say or do can be copied, pasted, and sent to gazillions of people without your permission.
- Apply the Golden Rule. If you don’t want it done to you, don’t do it to someone else.
- Choose wisely. Not all content is appropriate. You know what we mean.
- Don't hide. Using anonymity to cloak your actions doesn’t turn you into a trustworthy, responsible human being.
- Think about what you see. Just because it’s online doesn’t make it true.
- Be smart, be safe. Not everyone is who they say they are. But you know that.
INTERNET SAFETY PLEDGE
- I WILL THINK BEFORE I POST.
I agree not to post information and images that could put me at risk, embarrass me, or damage my future, such as
- cell & home phone numbers
- home address
- sexual messages
- inappropriate pictures and videos
- I WILL RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE ONLINE.
I will not
- post anything rude, offensive, or threatening
- send or forward images and information that might embarrass, hurt, or harass someone
- take anyone's personal information and use it to damage his or her reputation
- I WILL BE CAREFUL WHEN MEETING ONLINE FRIENDS IN PERSON.
I agree to
- ask my parent or guardian's permission before going
- have a parent or guardian accompany me
- meet in a public place
- I WILL PROTECT MYSELF ONLINE.
If someone makes me feel uncomfortable or if someone is rude or offensive, I will
- not respond
- save the evidence
- tell my parent, guardian, or another trusted adult
- report to the website, cell phone company, CyberTipline.com, or the police